Sparkle Bright Products FAQs
SPARKLE BRIGHT PRODUCTS VS. STORE BOUGHT JEWELRY CLEANERS
HOW IS SPARKLE BRIGHT DIFFERENT FROM WHAT IS SOLD AT THE JEWELERS OR DEPARTMENT STORES?
• Most cleaners sold by department stores and jewelers contain chemicals such as ammonias, acids, and alcohol. These chemicals can be VERY harmful to semi-precious stones and costume jewelry and can accelerate the discoloration and tarnishing of precious metals.
• Sparkle Bright Products are all-natural, non-toxic, non-corrosive, and biodegradable; yet strong enough to clean the toughest dirt and grime from every jewelry item a person owns.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING TWO CLEANING PRODUCTS TO CLEAN MY JEWELRY?
• The unique Sparkle Bright Products two-stage approach enables two different products to perform two very distinct activities which allows for superior results. The Polishing Cream removes tarnish from precious metals in seconds and the Liquid Cleaner removes dirt, grease and grime from jewelry ranging from diamonds to pearls.
HOW OFTEN CAN I USE THE LIQUID JEWELRY CLEANER?
• It is gentle and safe enough to use every day.
IS THE LIQUID JEWELRY CLEANER REALLY SAFE ON SOFT STONES LIKE OPALS AND PEARLS?
• Most definitely. Our Liquid Cleaner is not made with any chemicals that can dry out the soft stones. It is made from natural banana and coconut oils; so the liquid cleaner actually moisturizes semi-precious stones like opals and pearls.
CAN I USE THE LIQUID JEWELRY CLEANER ON MY COSTUME OR FASHION JEWELRY?
• If the jewelry piece can get wet, it is safe to clean it with Sparkle Bright Products Liquid Jewelry Cleaner. Just dip, brush with a soft brush, rinse with water, and dry with a soft cloth.
CAN I SOAK MY JEWELRY IN THE LIQUID CLEANER?
• It is safe to soak fine jewelry like diamonds and sapphires. But more delicate jewelry items like opals, pearls and costume pieces should not be soaked in the liquid cleaner for extended periods. Just swish these items in our Liquid Cleaner for a few seconds, and rinse with water to remove unwanted dirt and debris.
WHY DO MY DIAMONDS LOOK WHITE OR TAN?
• It is most likely caused by a build-up of lotion, soap, hand sanitizer or good old-fashioned grime. Any debris or build-up can quickly diminish the look of fine and costume jewelry. Just soak the jewelry item in our Liquid Cleaner for a few minutes to return the brilliant look. Brush the jewelry item with a soft toothbrush to remove stubborn dirt or grime.
CAN I USE THE LIQUID JEWELRY CLEANER ON MY EYEGLASSES?
• Yes. Simply dip in the Liquid Cleaner, rinse with water, and dry with a soft cotton cloth. Our Liquid Cleaner is also very effective on cell phone screens, I-pad screens, laptop and computer screens, TV screens, mirrors, chandeliers, and goggles for swimming, diving, snowmobiling and work.
SHOULD I RINSE MY JEWELRY AFTER USING THE LIQUID JEWELRY CLEANER?
Yes. Always rinse in clean water after using each of our products.
CAN I USE A SOFT BRUSH TO CLEAN SOFT STONES LIKE PEARLS, OPALS, TURQUOISE, CORAL, LAPIS, ETC?
• It is not recommended. Even a soft toothbrush can be too harsh for soft stones like pearls and opals and turquoise. We recommend just swishing these items in the Liquid Cleaner, rubbing with your fingers, rinsing with water, and drying with a soft cotton cloth.
MY GEMSTONES LOOK CLOUDY. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN THESE TO MAKE THEM SPARKLE LIKE WHEN THEY WERE BRAND NEW?
• In order for gemstones to sparkle, light needs to be able to reflect and refract through the gemstone. Dirt, lotion, food and other debris can stick to your stones, making them look dull. It is very important to remember to clean not only the top of the gemstones but also underneath the stones and setting. Use a soft toothbrush or one of our small detail brushes to remove stubborn dirt and your gemstones should sparkle from across the room again.
POLISHING CREAM / TARNISH REMOVER
WHY DOES JEWELRY TARNISH?
• Pure gold (24kt) and pure silver do not tarnish. When jewelry is made, alloy metals, like nickel, copper, zinc, bronze, etc. are added to these metals to make them harder so that the jewelry piece maintains its shape. Tarnish is actually caused by a chemical reaction called oxidation (think of a nail rusting). Our Polishing Cream and Tarnish Remover safely removes this layer of build-up and brings back your nice shiny surface. If a nickel or penny can turn dark over time, then the nickel or copper in your gold or silver can cause your precious metals to turn dark and dull as well.
WHAT CAUSES TARNISH?
• The result of moisture in the air, exposure to chemicals (hand sanitizer, chlorine in spas and swimming pools, bleach, home cleaning supplies, etc.), even our own sweat that is influenced by a high acidic diet or cigarette smoke can cause tarnish.
MY WHITE GOLD IS TURNING YELLOW, WHAT IS THAT?
• It is the natural result when white gold tarnishes. Use our Polishing Cream / Tarnish Remover to remove the tarnish.
MY JEWELER SAYS I HAVE TO HAVE MY RING “DIPPED” IN RHODIUM PLATING TO KEEP MY WHITE GOLD FROM TURNING YELLOW. IS THIS TRUE?
• Unfortunately not all jewelers are aware of alternatives that can keep white gold looking white. Our Polishing Cream / Tarnish Remover is a great alternative to maintaining a clear, white look for your white gold.
ONCE IN A WHILE, MY FINGER UNDERNEATH MY RING WILL TURN BLACK. WHAT’S HAPPENING?
• Your acidic body chemistry can play a role in jewelry tarnish. A high acidic pH level of your body oils can actually remove tarnish from your jewelry. Next time it happens, try to remember what you ate or drank in the previous 24 hours. Maybe they were high in acid content.
WHAT METALS CAN I USE THE TARNISH REMOVER / POLISHING CREAM ON?
• Use it to polish and/or remove tarnish from all precious metals such as gold, silver, copper, brass, bronze, palladium, pewter, platinum, titanium, chrome, aluminum and stainless steel.
• It is also useful for cleaning hard-to-remove stains on masonite countertops, cook tops, and vinyl floors.
WHAT OBJECTS CAN I USE THE POLISHING CREAM TARNISH REMOVER / POLISHING CREAM ON?
• Jewelry items, silverware, silver service sets, silver platters, silver candelabras, horse tack bridles and bits, coin collections, copper pots, copper lawn ornaments, brass candlesticks, antique brass doorknobs, brass railings, chrome faucets, motorcycle chrome, stainless steel sinks and appliances.
SHOULD I USE TOOTHPASTE TO CLEAN MY JEWELRY?
• No! If there is one thing we want to pass on to the general public it is to STOP USING TOOTHPASTE TO CLEAN YOUR JEWELRY!! Toothpaste is very abrasive and can easily scratch gold and silver and semi-precious stones.
CAN I USE THE TARNISH REMOVER / POLISHING CREAM ON MY COSTUME OR FASHION JEWELRY?
• No. Fashion/costume jewelry does not tarnish. Only use the Liquid Jewelry Cleaner (pink solution) on fashion/costume jewelry. Just swish the jewelry piece on the pink Liquid Cleaner, rinse with water, and dry with a soft cloth.
CAN I USE BOTH THE LIQUID JEWELRY CLEANER AND THE TARNISH REMOVER CREAM ON MY SILVER AND GOLD JEWELRY?
• Yes. Most store bought jewelry cleaners require you to purchase multiple items to clean gold, then silver, then diamonds, then pearls, etc. Our Liquid Cleaner and Tarnish Remover Cream are designed to safely clean every jewelry item you own.
WILL THE POLISHING CREAM / TARNISH REMOVER REMOVE GOLD OR SILVER FROM MY JEWELRY?
• No. Our Polishing Cream / Tarnish Remover is non-abrasive and will not remove any gold or silver from your jewelry. The cream simply removes layers of tarnish build-up to safely allow your gold and silver to shine like new.
HOW IS YOUR POLISHING CREAM DIFFERENT FROM A JEWELER’S CLOTH?
• A jeweler’s polishing cloth contains chemicals that remove the tarnish from the jewelry piece. These chemicals leave a residue on the metal finish; resulting in a chemical reaction between the cleaner and the alloy metals that causes the jewelry piece to tarnish faster and deeper. Our Polishing Cream works by simply wiping the tarnish away, not by dissolving it with a chemical reaction. This process allows your jewelry to stay tarnish-free, longer.
IS IT SAFE IF THE POLISHING CREAM GETS ON THE STONES WHILE CLEANING THE METAL?
• Yes. The Polishing Cream is no-toxic and will not damage gem stones. Just swish and rinse in water to remove the cream.
ON DAYS THAT I USE THE POLISHING CREAM, WHICH PRODUCT SHOULD I USE FIRST?
• Use the Polishing Cream / Tarnish Remover first, then the Liquid Cleaner.
HOW DO I KNOW IF A PIECE OF JEWELRY IS A COSTUME PIECE SO I CAN IDENTIFY WHETHER OR NOT IT IS SAFE TO USE THE POLISHING CREAM / TARNISH REMOVER?
• Fine jewelry will have markings stamped either on the inside of a ring band or on a bracelet or necklace clasp. It will read 10k, 14k, or 18k for gold, and 925 for silver. Costume jewelry doesn’t have any markings on it.
I PUT MY JEWERLY IN A CLEANER FROM THE DRUGSTORE AND ACCIDENTALLY LEFT IT IN OVERNIGHT. I TOOK IT OUT THIS MORNING AND NOW IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS CORRODED. WHAT HAPPENED AND HOW DO I FIX IT?
• The chemicals in the cleaner may have reacted with the alloy metals and started to corrode the metal. Simply use the Polishing Cream / Tarnish Remover to remove the tarnish and follow it by brushing with the Liquid Cleaner. This should correct the damage.
CAN I USE SPARKLE BRIGHT PRODUCTS ON MY NECKLACES AND CHAINS?
• Yes. The tarnish remover does a wonderful job of removing tarnish from gold and silver chains. The liquid jewelry cleaner is great for removing the day-to-day grime like dirt and sweat from the metals.
HOW CAN I PREVENT MY JEWELRY FROM TARNISHING?
• Whenever possible, try to keep chemicals from making contact with your precious metals. Don’t go swimming in chlorinated pools or spas while wearing your jewelry. Remove your jewelry while performing household cleaning chores. When storing your jewelry, place items in ziplock bags or velvet jewelry bags to limit exposure to air.
WHAT IS THE NORMAL SHELF LIFE OF SPARKLE BRIGHT PRODUCTS?
• Two to three years, unopened.
• If the Tarnish Remover / Polishing Cream becomes dried out and hard, add water to re-hydrate.
HOW DO I CLEAN JEWELRY THAT HAS ANTIQUING OR ETCHING ON IT?
• Use caution when cleaning these items. Most store bought cleaners will actually remove antiquing or etching from jewelry. Both our Liquid Cleaner and Polishing Cream are safe to use on these items.
MY METAL WATCH LEAVES BLACK MARKS ON MY WRIST. HOW CAN I SAFELY CLEAN IT?
• Most watches made today are water resistant. But be careful not to clean with a product that contains alcohol, ammonia, or acids because permanent damage can occur. Our Liquid Jewelry Cleaner is safe to use on all watchbands and watch faces to remove dirt, sweat and grime. We recommend using a soft toothbrush with our Liquid Cleaner to gently remove any unwanted dirt and debris. You can also use the Polishing Cream / Tarnish Remover once or twice a year on watchbands that are made of real metal – like stainless steel bands or gold bands on Rolex watches.
HOW DO I CLEAN DESIGNER COSTUME JEWELRY LIKE LIA SOPHIA, BRIGHTON, OR PREMIER?
These makers produce jewelry pieces that are covered with a protective coating. Do not use any cleaners that contain alcohol, ammonia, or acids on these items. Those products can permanently damage these jewelry pieces. Our Liquid Cleaner can safely remove dirt and debris from these jewelry items.
HOW DO I CLEAN DESIGNER HIGH-END JEWELRY LIKE TIFFANY, DAVID YURMAN, OR JAMES AVERY?
• These designers create jewelry pieces made from silver and many have black antiquing and etching throughout the pieces. Do not use any cleaners that contain alcohol, ammonia, or acids on these items. Those products can instantly remove the antiquing and also dull the silver finish. Our Polishing Cream is safe to use to remove tarnish from these specialized pieces and our Liquid Cleaner is safe to use to remove any unwanted dirt and debris.
HOW DO I CLEAN MY PANDORA BRACELET?
• The maker of these bracelets uses intricate etching, black antiquing, ceramic beads, paint, and silver in each of their bracelets. Do not use any cleaners that contain alcohol, ammonia, or acids on these items. Those products can instantly cause irreparable damage to Pandora bracelets. Our Polishing Cream is safe to use to remove tarnish from these specialized pieces and our Liquid Cleaner is safe to use to remove any unwanted dirt and debris.
MY JEWELER TOLD ME NOT TO CLEAN MY PEARLS. WHAT DO I DO IF I GET HAIRSPRAY, PERFUME, OR BODY OIL ON THEM?
• Most jewelers sell Liquid Jewelry Cleaners that are made with chemicals, and these chemicals are absolutely not safe for pearls. The chemicals in these cleaners can dry out pearls and damage their appearance. Our Liquid Cleaner is made with banana and coconut oils, which are very moisturizing to these stones. Simply swish in the Liquid Cleaner, rinse in water, and dry with a soft cotton cloth.
HOW ARE SPARKLE BRIGHT PRODUCTS DIFFERENT FROM GOING TO THE JEWELRY STORE TO GET MY RING CLEANED?
• Most jewelers use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean your ring. While this is a fantastic way of removing debris from jewelry, it has the same results as cleaning with our Liquid Cleaner does; but ultrasonic machines don’t remove tarnish. Our products work to clean both the metal AND the gemstones.
SHOULD I STILL GO TO THE JEWELER TO HAVE MY JEWELRY INSPECTED?
• Absolutely. Jewelers check to make sure your precious stones are secure in their settings; eliminating the risk of losing diamonds or other gem stones. It is recommended to have inspections performed every 6 months. Ask your jeweler how often you should come in to have more delicate pieces inspected.
WHAT KIND OF CLOTH DO YOU USE FOR CLEANING?
• You can use a paper towel to clean most jewelry or a soft 100% cotton cloth for softer stones and delicate items.
WHAT KIND OF BRUSH SHOULD I USE FOR CLEANING?
• We recommend a soft toothbrush or a baby’s toothbrush.
I HAVE SCRATCHES ON MY GOLD RING. HOW CAN I GET THESE OUT?
• You can have your jeweler polish these out on a buffing wheel. However, you don’t want to have this done too many times in the lifetime of your ring because buffing actually removes a layer of the metal. If you use our Polishing Cream / Tarnish Remover periodically, it will shine up your gold and silver metals and make the scratches much less noticeable.
ULTRASONIC CLEANING MACHINE
CAN I USE THE LIQUID JEWELRY CLEANER IN AN ULTRASONIC CLEANING MACHINE?
• Yes. The Liquid Cleaner can actually influence how well or how poorly an ultrasonic machine performs its job. Sparkle Bright Products Liquid Jewelry Cleaner is an awesome cleaner and recommended for most sonic and ultra-sonic machines (unless otherwise instructed). We recommend filling the sonic machine basin to the “Fill Line” with water and then adding 2-3 capfuls of our Liquid Cleaner to enhance the cleaning process.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A” SONIC” AND AN ”ULTRASONIC” CLEANER?
• An ultrasonic cleaner uses ultrasonic waves that create tiny bubbles that burst when they hit the jewelry item in the stainless steel tank. It’s the bursting action of these bubbles that do the cleaning and remove dirt and debris that are stuck in crevices in the jewelry. A “sonic” machine has a vibrating compartment that attempts to vibrate off dirt and debris. Unfortunately some of the older “sonic” machines vibrated so much that gems stones were knocked loose from the jewelry. “Ultrasonic” machines are much less liable to cause a gem stone to come loose.
WHAT STONES CAN GO IN AN ULTRASONIC CLEANER?
• You can safely clean gemstones that are a “9” or higher on the Moh’s Scale of Hardness. This includes diamonds, rubies, sapphires and garnets. Stones of lesser hardness can become damaged due to the sound waves created by these machines.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I REPLACE MY SOLUTION?
• Once per week or when the solution looks excessively cloudy or dirty.
HOW LONG SHOULD I PUT JEWELRY ITEMS IN THE ULTRASONIC MACHINE?
• Usually 3-6 minutes is all that is needed for maintenance cleaning. Our machine is pre-programmed in 3 minute increments for ease of use.
HOW DO I CLEAN MY WATCH WITH THE WATCH STAND?
• Slide the watchband through the plastic tines so that the face is sitting on top of the arched watch stand. Then place the watch and arch inside the white basket in the basin. The watch face should be kept out of the water at all times; so adjust the water level if needed. Run machine for 3-6 minutes, replacing the solution and repeating if necessary. Repeat until no more dirt comes off of the watchband. Rinse with water and dry with a soft cotton cloth.
HOW DO I CLEAN MY GLASSES?
• Drop glasses in white basket for 3 minutes. Rinse with water and dry with a soft cotton cloth.
CAN COSTUME OR ANTIQUE/HEIRLOOM JEWELRY BE CLEANED BY THE ULTRASONIC CLEANER?
• No, this is not recommended.
CAN ALL METALS GO IN THE ULTRASONIC CLEANER?
HOW OFTEN CAN I USE THE ULTRASONIC CLEANER?
• Daily, if you like. The frequency of use also depends on what your jewelry has been exposed to during the day.
If you have a specific question that was not answered here, we welcome you to e-mail us at CustomerCare@SparkleBrightProducts.com. We will answer your question and list it on our FAQ page for others to view.